Saturday, June 15, 2013

You are coming down with me, hand in unloveable hand.


So, when I said "We're back." I had some pretty good ideas ready; however, those ideas proved too ambitious (as they usually do). So, to satiate the hunger of the (maybe) three people who read this, I have an album of Mountain Goats covers that came out last year. I just found out about it two nights ago, so it's still new to me and hopefully will be to you as well. If you're not familiar with the Mountain Goats, just know that lead singer-songwriter John Darnielle is one of the most brilliant lyricists of his generation. Needless to say, I'm a big fan and this certainly isn't the last you'll be hearing from me about his work.

The link to the entire album stream is here: [http://tallahasseeturnsten.tumblr.com/].

They're charging $8 for the download, which isn't bad for a 15 track album. Now, if you're too cheap to buy it, but wish to have it on your choice of mp3 device... I'm not saying there's a Firefox extension you can use to rip the individual tracks from the stream, but there totally is. Google is a better friend to you than I will ever be in this case. Besides, I already toss you lovely readers more free music than I likely have any legal right to. So enjoy 'Tallahassee Turns Ten'. Here's a quick breakdown we'll call:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

The Good:
- I absolutely love Mooner's blues-rock flavored cover of Southwood Plantation Road. It's a little Black Keys and a little John Darnielle- a perfect combination somehow. I ended up downloading their three EPs because I liked it so much.
- Miracles of Modern Science's take on of Idylls of the King is also good. It's fairly straight-forward, but a little brighter, like a lazy Sunday afternoon in the sun.
- Laura Stevenson's lilting version of No Children is sung with a wink and put a smile on my face.
- But I think my favorite track is Great Gray Buildings' Oceanographer's Choice cover. It almost sounds like something nostalgic from the 90s, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

The Bad:
- Kimya Dawson ruined one of my favorite Tallahassee tracks with her very special brand of "Look at me! I'm so fucking indie and unmotivated!" lazy vocals. She really took the song and made it her own; unfortunately, in this case, that isn't a good thing.

The Ugly:
- The weird not-harmony in the vocals of Dawson's version of Game Shows Touch Our Lives.
Just. Terrible.
I was hoping she would at least sing "People say friends don't destroy one another/What do they know about friends?" with some emotion. Ok, maybe I'm being a little tough on Kimya Dawson. I don't know what I expected from someone who hasn't done anything noteworthy since the Juno soundtrack.

A more surprising disappointment was Andrew Jackson Jihad's cover of Alpha Rats Nest. Now, Rats Nest isn't one of my favorite Tallahassee tracks. AJJ didn't ruin it. That's the problem: it's completely unremarkable. It isn't bad, but it doesn't stand out, you know? I guess I was just expecting a little more from them.
All in all, a very good bunch of covers and a somewhat rare example of a full-album cover project. 9/10 - Would listen to again. And again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment