Sunday, October 31, 2010

The best times are yet to come.


Friday. This blog will be updated on Friday every week. Or at lest, that's the goal. I've done a piss poor job of it so far, but hopefully that will change. Until then, bide your time and hold out hope.
We're getting close to Halloween, It's Halloween, so the obvious thing to do here would be to give you a compilation of Halloween and/or autumn related songs. Being the blandly predictable person I am, that is exactly what I am going to do. Sorry to disappoint you, bored readers looking for a twist. However, I will give it just a hint of a twist. Rather than giving you basically the same post as two weeks ago with different songs, I'll just give you the songs with a line or two about each of them and then focus on something completely different. Ok?

Download here:


Track 1) Jethro Tull- Heavy Horses
Bring me a wheel of oaken wood/a rein of polished leather/a heavy horse and a tumbling sky/brewing heavy weather.” Need I say more?

Track 2) Ryan Adams- Halloweenhead
This should be obvious just from the title. The not so obvious part is that Ryan Adams is 'country' and I don't like country. Even if you don't like country, listen to Ryan Adams. Simple as that.

Track 3) Manic Street Preachers- Autumnsong
Another obvious title. I'd also mention though, that Send Away the Tigers- the album this track comes from- is a great autumn album in general.

Track 4) Tarkio- Slow Down
It was tough not to include every song from Tarkio's Omnibus as they all sound perfect for an autumn afternoon. Slow Down is one of the more spirited tracks and that's the only reason I chose it over the others.

Track 5) Aeroplane, 1929- A Nervous Whistle To Keep My Courage Up
This song is a newer one in my library, but it's quickly become a fall favorite. Clocking in at just short of five minutes, it's a bit longer than I'd usually put on a mix. Then again so is Heavy Horses; proving that if the track is good enough, I'll make an exception.

Track 6) Sea Wolf- Leaves In the River
This song is perfect. It's a story about Halloween and the sound effects in the background really pull it all together. If you've never listened to Sea Wolf, you're missing out.

Track 7) Iron & Wine- Lion's Mane
Iron & Wine is perfect any season music. In fall it sounds like fall, in summer it sounds like summer.

Track 8) The Decemberists- Red Right Ankle
See what I did there? It was so hard to pick just one Tarkio song, so I threw in a Decemberists rack too. Yes its the same guy, but Colin Meloy is possibly one of my favorite indie singers. This one comes on recommendation of my roommate.

Track 9) Sufjan Stevens- Romulus
This track was also selected by my roommate. He's got good taste; you can trust him.

Track 10) Jon Foreman- Southbound Train
I had to throw in a sad song. Autumn is a time of death in the same way that spring is a time of rebirth. Just be glad I didn't pick The Funeral by Band of Horses. (Which you should listen to if you haven't already.) Also, its the guy from Switchfoot if you're into that.

Bonus Track) Iron & Wine with Calexico- Sixteen, Maybe Less
As a bonus I threw in another Iron &Wine song. This has always been a late fall song, so it might even be a little to early right now. Regardless, its a great song.

Now for the unrelated half. I say unrelated because none of these songs are in the playlist I just gave you; but that doesn't mean they don't fit with the theme. I didn't include any of the songs I'm about to talk about because the band already did that for me. Scott Allbright of Poor Bailey has decided to try a really cool project this month. He has decided to release one song a day, every day until the 31st. Called The October Project, or A Song a Day to Keep the Demons Away. The songs are being released on http://happydead.com/  for a dollar each. Now, over the course of a moth you will end up paying $31 for this album, but the beauty of it is that you can preview the songs first. Now I don't mean 30 sec iTunes preview; they let you hear the whole song before you decide to purchase it. That way you can pick and choose which songs you want and tailor the album to your specifications. For a dollar each, I'd say this album is totally worth it, and it gives you something to look forward to every day, right? I wish I had discovered these guys earlier, because what they're doing is really pretty neat. At this point you can preview/buy the whole album. If you like Bright Eyes, this is a must hear album.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd also like to announce the Love Is Jargon Logo Design Competition. Anyone who would like to design a new version of the heartbox logo can send a 133x133 jpg file of their design to loveisjargon@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment